Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving Thoughts


As Thanksgiving Day rolls around, there are many things for which I am thankful:

Friends and Family: Both those near and far, those still here and those gone who had impact upon my life both before and after grief took root in my heart. Who love me irregardless of my many faults and are kind enough not to often mention them.

Love: From my dear Jim…the love of my past life…and given to me in unquestioned measure for over 30 years though I often deserved less.

From my Handyman, Craig, who loves me lumps, bumps, wrinkles, gray hair and fluctuating moods not always related to grief…and the love of this new life in which I find myself.

From my children who often do not know the woman before them, yet love me anyway.

Humor: Which keeps me insanely sane.

Life: Without which I would have none of the above.

Tomorrow I will share all of the above with family and friends in an atmosphere of love and laughter, for which I am truly grateful and welcome that my heart no longer aches so badly than I cannot enjoy them.

We have, however, received regrets from one houseguest:


Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving. I'm telling you in advance, so don't act surprised. Since Ms. Stewart won't be coming, I've made a few small changes:

1. Our sidewalk will not be lined with homemade, paper bag luminaries. After a trial run, it was decided that no matter how cleverly done, rows of flaming lunch sacks do not have the desired welcoming effect.

2. Once inside, our guests will note that the entry hall is not decorated with the swags of Indian corn and fall foliage I had planned to make. Instead, I've gotten the kids involved in the decorating by having them track in colorful autumn leaves from the front yard. The mud was their idea.

3. The dining table will not be covered with expensive linens, fancy china, or crystal goblets. If possible, we will use dishes that match and everyone will get a fork. Since this IS Thanksgiving, we will refrain from using the plastic Peter Rabbit plate and the Santa napkins from last Christmas.

4. Our centerpiece will not be the tower of fresh fruit and flowers that I promised. Instead we will be displaying a hedgehog-like decoration hand-crafted from the finest construction paper. The artist assures me it is a turkey.

5. We will be dining fashionably late. The children will entertain you while you wait. I'm sure they will be happy to share every choice comment I have made regarding Thanksgiving, pilgrims and the turkey hotline. Please remember that most of these comments were made at 5:00 a.m. upon discovering that the turkey was still hard enough to cut diamonds. As accompaniment to the children's recital, I will play a recording of tribal drumming. If the children should mention that I don't own a recording of tribal drumming, or that tribal drumming sounds suspiciously like a frozen turkey in a clothes dryer, ignore them. They are lying.

6. We toyed with the idea of ringing a dainty silver bell to announce the start of our feast. In the end, we chose to keep our traditional method. We've also decided against a formal seating arrangement. When the smoke alarm sounds, please gather around the table and sit where you like. In the spirit of harmony, we will ask the children to sit at a separate table ... in a separate room ... next door.

7. Now, I know you have all seen pictures of one person carving a turkey in front of a crowd of appreciative onlookers. This will not be happening at our dinner. For safety reasons, the turkey will be carved in a private ceremony. I stress "private" meaning: Do not, under any circumstances, enter the kitchen to laugh at me. Do not send small, unsuspecting children to check on my progress. I have an electric knife. The turkey is unarmed. It stands to reason that I will eventually win. When I do, we will eat.

8. I would like to take this opportunity to remind my young diners that "passing the rolls" is not a football play. Nor is it a request to bean your sister in the head with warm tasty bread.

9. Oh, and one reminder for the adults: For the duration of the meal, and especially while in the presence of you diners, we will refer to the giblet gravy by its lesser-known name: Cheese Sauce. If a young diner questions you regarding the origins or type of Cheese Sauce, plead ignorance. Cheese Sauce stains.

10. Before I forget, there is one last change. Instead of offering a choice among 12 different scrumptious desserts, we will be serving the traditional pumpkin pie, garnished with whipped cream and small fingerprints. You will still have a choice; take it or leave it.

Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving. She probably won't come next year either. I am thankful. (
The Martha Stewart Thanksgiving is courtesy of an e-mail from a friend)

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends, may you find peace in abounding measure.

May those that love us, love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping.

(an Irish blessing my Jim loved and shared with me long ago)

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:41 PM

    Still using other peoples words I see.

    You seem to have a problem coming up with an original thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:55 PM

    I was going to say the same thing.

    She never uses her own fucking words!

    Happy Fucking Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies.

    I claim no originality for either the Martha Stewart Thanksgiving nor the Irish Blessing.

    Thank you for pointing out my faux pas. I will happily correct the error.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:42 PM

    Josie, don't go messing with the Blessing...it brings back many good memories of times and family now gone.

    Hairy ol' Fart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed it does.

    And I wouldn't dream of messing with it. Jim liked it just the way he sent it to me one day from work.

    Hairy ol' Fart? :) If you say so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:17 AM

    Thankfully Martha didn't visit my house this Thanksgiving.
    I hope your holiday was a happy one and you and the Handyman created new and wonderful memories. Are you going to be able to visit the new grand over Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm grateful for the fact that my family has embraced him as they always did my Jim. They have made him feel like family and I could ask no more than that.

    I hope you had a great day as well.

    Alas, there will be no travel to see DKV, Jr over the holidays. Charlie still requires careful monitoring and I'll not inflict a week's worth of that requirement to someone else's list at this point.

    My sister has volunteered to take him to her house for New Year's weekend so we can go to Raleigh, which is only a few hours away, since she will be off the whole weekend. As long as he continues to improve at the rate he is now, I will agree to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:34 PM

    Love that picture on your blog , lady!

    It's gourd-a-riffic !

    Hey, what about those gorgeous doilies made from dryer lint ?

    I mean no house is complete without those little holiday touches...

    My t-day was all about fish and family.
    We ate alotta fish and found a new dessert for me to make at home.

    Port Wine Berry Jelly.

    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Port flavored knox with soused berries.
    Lawdy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I can't take credit for that picture...I found it on the net and it had the ambiance I wanted.

    I reckon I could have put my fake gourds and fall flowers around Son of Creepy and taken a pic. Too bad I didn't think of it sooner.

    Would have been good for a laugh, eh?

    I like the idea of fish at Thanksgiving. Next year will be my turn and we may do that for something different. Besides...my Handyman loves seafood.

    Port? Uh...not one of my fav's...the rest sounds good though...reckon you could substitute Brandy or Bourbon????

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:58 AM

    Yup brandy would work too.
    But never forget to souse your berries !
    Cardinal rule in likkered up desserts.

    * big cheesy grin*

    ReplyDelete