Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Memories

In the back of a dark closet a memory patiently slept for me to rediscover and unzip its contents this morning....

My wedding dress...


Sitting on the floor fingering the aging lace on the simple, high bodiced, oh-so 70's A-line dress my dearest aunt so lovingly made for me to wear that stereotypically sunny, Southern California Saturday afternoon, July 31, 1971 came flooding back as if it were yesterday...

sights…

smells...

sounds...

feelings...

memories...

such loving memories...

so many folks now gone who shared that day with us…

not the least of those the man for whom the reason existed...

and memories of another day nearly 31 years later for which he was also the reason…

memories…

20 years old...

I thought I knew so much about life back then...

sigh

So long ago and yet…

still…

yesterday…

The lessons learned since that day.

And, yet to not know the more to life at all.

Standing in the sunlight of those precious memories…I miss him.



The Way We Were (Barbra Streisand)


Mem'ries,
Like the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were

Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were

Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we? could we?

Mem'ries, may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget

So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

I'll never forget.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:31 PM

    ((What a lovely dress.))

    I go along everyday just doing my thing, when *wham* a memory hits me square between the eyes.

    It's like "oh, yeah my other life "...I've been living this one for waht seems like forever now.

    ReplyDelete