Monday, July 30, 2007

Unexpected Anniversary

When Jim died I never expected nor dreamed I would want to be in a relationship again at my age.

Sometimes the universe has other ideas.

Today marks 3 years for the Handyman and I.

When first we met I had no idea love would come rushing in the door while I was busy looking elsewhere. At that point I had come to a place where being ME was beginning to feel very OK. I thought my life was headed in a different direction. (not the first time I have been deluded by that though, BTW) Then you casually took my hand to help me from that van and I realized I was headed somewhere else. I neither expected nor anticipated finding love again along this path.

Throughout these 3 years we have laughed, danced, dared to love, argued, adventured and worked our way together into a very comfortable space...like a favorite well worn sweater or comfy quilt. You are my friend as well as lover and partner and I am grateful for the gift.

I have learned a lot from you in processing my own thoughts about how we got here, looking at the world through a different lens and keeping my life in the here and now.

We have been through some interesting times between your children and mine. Blending them into a family is still a work in progress, but not one fraught with the angst that so many others of our kind have and still face. I am grateful that their wishes for our combined happiness have come to outweigh any concerns they may have had about it not being their respective parent who got to spend this fall and winter of our lives together.

I look forward with gladness in my heart to whatever future is meant to be between us on the rest of this journey.
 
I wrote these words not long before we made our relationship permanent 3 years ago. They are as true today as they were then.

I will be a rock for you to lean on
When times are hard and your heart is sad.
I will be a refuge from the storms
That life and past sorrows bring
In the course of the day.

My arms will hold you without reservation
And keep you safe and warm
When nights are cold and deep.

I give you my love without strings or walls
To keep within your heart
For the length of our days together.
I give you all freely and without doubt
To treasure and keep as you will.

I will regret nothing, for the choice is mine
To keep my heart or give it away
I choose to give it to you.

Thank you for the gifts you bring to my life. I will savour the love and companionship we share for what ever time the universe graces to give us.

Happy Anniversary.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:23 PM

    ((So truly happy for you two !))

    ReplyDelete