Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Georgia on my Mind

While it is true that there is no place like home in my heart, I also admit to a bit of the wanderlust invading my soul from time to time. Presented with the opportunity to visit one of my favorite southern cities for next to free...bags were packed and camera batteries were charged and ready to go in record time.

Savannah, Georgia exudes the charm and slow pace for which southern cities have become famous. It is a city whose history was nearly deflowered in the mid-fifties until a band of dedicated southern grande dames united in the effort to save it. (literally chained themselves to the fence to prevent the wreckers from demolishing the first of many historic houses preserved by this group)

In February 1733, James Oglethorpe and 120 souls snatched from the bowels of debtor’s prison landed on the banks of the Savannah River and began building one of the south’s most intriguing cities. Its history is a marvelous mélange of colonial, antebellum, Victorian and modern architecture and culture. (For an accurate and highly entertaining social snapshot of the juxtaposition of the antebellum and modern underculture of Savannah, read John Berendt's best seller Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.)

For my Tennessee friend who loves fountains…just 2 of the many within Savannah’s confines and some of my favorite Savannah sights (And a little something for my Texas friend who loves funny sayings:)


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:10 PM

    Hey...that t-shirt saying looks familiar !
    Great pics woman !
    I am glad you had a swell time ...and came back to tell us about it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep....thought of you when I saw that one...it's why I took that particular picture.

    "...and came back to tell us about it!"

    I could live in Savannah in a heartbeat if I had the money and could leave during the summers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:27 AM

    I'll take your place in the summer. For some unknown reason Savannah has always been calling my name.
    When Bill died I looked on the web for days at jobs there. Thinking my tears would halt in the warm, OK hot, humid, fragrant air; thinking the Spanish moss would drape around my sorrow and hide it from my heart.
    I possess a traveling soul I do believe, now if I could find a job to support my traveling soul...;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:05 PM

    ... the Spanish moss would drape around my sorrow and hide it from my heart.

    Beautifully well written sentiment, dearest Sandie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savannah is a wonderful place in which to cocoon yourself from the world in general. She gets into your soul, wraps herself around your heart and holds you tight against her bosom like your granny did when you were a kid.

    ReplyDelete