Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Fire Within

Truth be told, I thought of Bob Seger's "Fire Down Below", but this piece is about the synchronicity of the fire within a piece of jewlery called Dichroic Glass purchased at a street fair and the fire within a person's soul.
This piece spoke to me and captured what I believe is the fire that lives within me...or at least that I hope to nurture within.



Fire… we’re all born with it. The unbridled curiosity to see, taste, touch, hear smell…explore…everything in the universe.

"There are seven lost secret fascinations and abilities:
~ animals can talk;
~ your favorite blanket is woven from a fabric so mighty, that once pulled over your head, it becomes an impenetrable force field;
~ nothing is too heavy to lift with the aid of a cape;
~ your hand, held forefinger out and thumb up, actually fires bullets;
~ jumping from any height with an umbrella is completely safe;
~ monsters exist and can be both seen an done battle with;

and the greatest, most special and regrettable loss of all…
~ the ability to fly."
(Older Mike in 1992 movie Radio Flyer)

Born in 1950 and living in a time before television became entertainment…I believed those things.

Somewhere in the time of aging…I lost them. Or, perhaps more correctly, evolved them into a different set of fascinations and abilities. Mother says I’ve always marched to the beat of a different drummer….pa rum pa pa pum.

Even through the dark grey days of early mourning the fire smoldered within waiting for that first Phoenix Moment to let me know it was still there. Little clues and nudges snuck in here and there in form of little people dragging me into their world of magic and unbounded energy. Or the gift of a crystal rainbow painting my room with the literal multi-faceted play of light and color as the sun moved across the sky.
Until, finally, I stand at a point where a piece of fused glass can speak to me on a level that reflects the fire that still lives within this aging carapace.
And, just because it's now stuck in my head:
The Fire Down Below
Here comes old rosie shes looking mighty fine Here comes hot nancy shes steppin right on time There go the street lights bringin on the night Here come the men faces hidden from the light All through the shadows they come and they go With only one thing in common They got the fire down below (Words and Music by Bob Seger)
(All pictures taken by and property of Outlaw Photography)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:57 AM

    "jumping from any height with an umbrella is completely safe;
    ~ monsters exist and can be both seen an done battle with;"

    I still believe the first and I know the second is true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:27 PM

    Wow, I love that dichroic piece, gurl !
    So unrepentently glass, with colors bumping into each other and so geometric/arsty /swirly .

    All these different elements amke for a fascinating piece of jewelry.

    Will you wear it or just look at it ?

    Love your analogy.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a piece I wear often.

    A sort of talisman to remind me, yanno?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Sandie girl, don't we ALL who have travelled the same path know the second is true.

    He has a name and a face and I've never worked harder to defeat something in my entire life.

    ReplyDelete