Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Only Easy Day is Yesterday...

"Life is not complicated and it is not fair, Randy Pausch might have said. It's just hard sometimes." from the Washington Post.
Randy Pausch I am not...
...no last lecture
...no million $ book deal
...no TV interview with a famous journalist...
Only me...no role model for the masses (I'd screw up the job anyway)...just me...
Josie...
Trying to figure out how to do this with some small sense of spirit and grace.
Grace.
Not a word normally associated with me.
Bull inna china shop...yeah...not grace.
Truth is I only know one way to do this.
Stand and deliver.
Highwayman, pistols raised, boots in the mud, standing staunch before the demon that would drag him down.
What the hell do I know?
It's only day 2.
Who knows how I will feel on day 22...222...or 2222.
But, I intend to stand for them all.
Mother took the news quietly, tears in her eyes. What a damn thing to have to tell your 80 year old mother.
Asked a few questions.
Wanted to know what I thought my attitude was going to be.
"I'm sad, Mom, but I'm not afraid and I'm not freaking out."
What good would it do anyway?
Won't change what is.
I can only wait, find out what the facts are and work from there.
This type of cancer...
cancer...
cancer...
(ugly word no matter how many time you type it)
is generally, successfully treatable.
There is always...hope.

2 comments:

  1. Sandie6:44 PM

    It is just a word. Any word can be scary when you give it power.

    Ointment is word that scares me. Who the hell wants ointment on their person? Ointment-who thought that was a good word?
    Cancer-nasty little word but can be cut away and never revisited again.

    I don't want you to be a role model-get it done- get it over with- and get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandie, gurl, thank you for the "ointment" laught.

    And, Yes'm...that is exactly my intent.

    ReplyDelete